Monday, February 16, 2009

Where I Stand Depends On Where I Sit

I think "tests" to gauge your qualities or positions on things are kind of stupid. However, being an evolved monkey, I can't stop myself from taking them if I see them enough.

A co-worker at my Union shop the other night absolutely insisted that I take the Myers-Briggs Personality test. The questions irritate me, because they are only binary-valued. I distrust anything that looks at the world in terms of black and white. Moreover, I wasted two Saturdays once in a "managment seminar" (time I'm not getting back, as far as I know) taking one and going through real awkward excercises with my coworkers.

Well, hell, the vendor got paid and management felt like they were getting something done.

But, for what it's worth, my Meyers-Briggs result then was INTJ. When I retook it? Still INTJ. So at least I'm consistent, and for those of you who look at life through Myers-Briggs glasses, you already know what I'm about.

One annoyance is that "World's Smallest Political Quiz". The impression I get is that it's non-partisan (but if that's true why do I always see it used as a winnowing tool by Libertarians?). Well, I finally gave in. Here's my result:



So at least I wound up pretty much as I thought I would: dead center in left-field.

If you don't think someone's trying to send a message here, meditate, my friends, that Libertarian is in the top, and by our transactional calculus, up is good. the middle is less worse, and down is bad. And regardless of how you define Statism, it depends on what dictionary you're using: I don't accept that big government is bad ... if big government works for its citizens, rather than works on its citizens, as the Republican version does.

But, in case you're one of those folks who loves them some quantification of that unquantifiable thing called human character, then, there ya go.

I'm not linking to the "World's Smallest Political Quiz". Go use teh freakin' Google yourself. See? I believe in self reliance!

No comments:

Post a Comment