Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Randy Leonard Needs To Go, Too.

In the last several days we've seen several reminders as to why, regardless of how Sam Adams conducts his private life, why he's proven himself to be the exact opposite of a visionary, thoughtful steward of the city's future.

But let's look at Randy Leonard just a little. Up until quite recently, we were a huge fan of Randy. We liked his scrappy style, and liked the way he took on Dave Frohnmayer over the "Made in Oregon" sign issue.

But latterly, he's been just a little too much the bully. Over on Preemptive Karma, I commented on Sam Adams's crass equivalency of a luxury hotel that I couldn't possibly afford to stay in to a significant regional transportation link in urgent need of reconstruction. And, despite Randy's newfound enmity for Sam, apparently they can remain freinemies: Randy will happily, apparently, back Sam's play for "support my hotel, or the bridge gets it".

I came to the conclusion that Randy's no longer looking out for the town but for other interests when I watched this report on KGW. At the 1:53 mark, Randy accuses Ted Wheeler, County Chair, as "someone who's having a temper tantrum because he's not having his way."

Let's go to the map, shall we?
  1. Wheeler asked for figures
  2. The City Council sat on the request for six weeks.
  3. On Monday, the Council finally delevered the request – and gave Wheeler until Thursday ... that's tomorrow ... to make his decision.
  4. When Wheeler objects and takes his case to the media, he's throwing a temper tantrum.
I could be missing something here.

But I don't think I am.

Randy doesn't deserve to be on the City Council anymore. Since he's not in as much public hot water as Sam is, I don't think he'll be recalled. I doubt that anyone with sufficient gumption will challenge him for re-election either.

Which is sad, because Randy doesn't deserve to serve anymore.

To threaten to pull support on a good for all the people unless you support something that very few of the people will enjoy in an economy that can't support it is simply to play the "big kid in the room" card, and we're already supporting one hotel I can't afford to even walk through the door to visit (I'm looking at you, "The Nines").

The Portland City Council, as expressed through the power plays of Sam Adams and Randy Leonard, has evolved into one big bully. I'm sorry I voted for Sam and Randy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm completely with you. I used to respect Randy Leonard, and thought he had the best interests of the community in mind, until the whole Beavers shenanigan. He's a bully, a cry baby who heaves knives when his pet project goes awry. He's a nasty politician who's hell bent on his own self-interests, not the best interest of the public. I'm very disappointed in Randy.

    Sam - I had a bad experience with him years ago while trying to get his support for transportation improvements (literally got the hand) so I've never been his fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I thought I had a realistic view of these guys. I figured that we don't elect perfection – we elect people who are flawed just like us.

    I liked what I thought was Randy's courage, I liked Sam's intelligence and I identified with a few of his personal struggles. And I did trust that they'd try to do what Portland needs to have done, instead of what'll make them rich, connected, or keep them out of trouble with the law.

    The breaking of innocence is the beginning of wisdom they say. I realize it all makes me look a bit too naive, but I'll take that lump; I, for one, don't take it for granted that every person running for elected office has a craven lust for power, wealth, and connections. I still don't think I'm wrong about that, but boy is my POV taking a beating lately.

    I've just about lost complete faith in the city council. I mean, what are Fish, Fritz, and Saltzman doing to pull the city back on course AND address these problems? When a lot of people in the city were feeling betrayed and needed to cope with that, Amanda just said "let's don't talk about it." When someone who felt his neighborhood was getting negelcted poured a bunch of syringes on the table in chambers, Fish just got offended at it.

    What has the City Council done lately about anything except making a mess of the whole MLS/Beavers thing?

    Man, I better stop here. I'm going to need someone to talk me down in a little while.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RANDY RECENTLY PRESSURED PEARL DISTRICT RESIDENTS TO AGREE TO INSTALL A LOO IN JAMISON PARK. PDNA (PEARL DISTRICT NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION) RUSHED INTO TWO MEETINGS IN SEPT, SO NO OPEN FORUM OR COMMUNICATION WITH RESIDENTS BEFORE THEY CLAIMED THEY REACHED AN AGREEMENT THAT PEOPLE IN THE PEARL WANTED THE LOO. LOTS OF RESIDENTS ONLY KNEW THE DECISION TO PUTTING A LOO IN JAMISON PARK AFTER IT WAS REPORTED ON THE NW EXAMINER. WHAT KIND OF DEMOCRATIC PROCESS IT IS! WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A RECALL FOR LOO DECISION AND WANTED TO HAVE A FAIR AND TRANSPARENT COMMUNITY MEETING PROCESS.

    ReplyDelete